Monday, August 18, 2014

The School with Seven Floors, Glass Walls, and All ipads

I was nervous; very nervous as I hopped of the moped and walked through the automatic glass doors, into my new school. On my right was a security guard (!), straight in front of me was an elevator that goes to all eight floors of the school, and all around me were Chinese students milling around and talking to each other. I noted that I was the only white American student there. Everywhere around me they were openly staring at me and whispering to their friends. Talk about awkward! I pulled out my schedule. "Looks like I have History first on the 3rd floor,"I thought. So, I hopped into the elevator and made my way to room 304.
I picked a seat in the second row waited for class to start. My heart was pounding but I wasn’t exactly sure why. Maybe I felt alone. I could feel all the classmates’ eyes on me. Soon, class started. First, we did a little activity so the teacher could learn our names. Of course they all had a hard time pronouncing mine, Enjoli. In the middle of class, the principal came and said he’d like to say a prayer for our class and for anyone that was new. I thought that was neat and I really appreciated it. Very slowly, but surely my nervousness started to melt away. Our teacher then had us play 20 questions on a history object or place. None of them had played it before so I gave a lot of answers.
By my next class, I was feeling a lot more comfortable. After math class I thought, “No homework yet. Yay!”
Next was lunch, so I hiked up to the seventh floor, grabbed my lunch and sat at a table. Soon, a girl came over, introduced herself, and invited me to sit with her and her friends and their table. I agreed and was happy that I didn’t have to eat alone.
At the end of school (It ends at 4:30…) they had some chips and soda upstairs for everyone like a welcome back party or something. By then, I wasn’t so nervous and they weren’t so afraid of me anymore! They approached me, asked me my name, commented on my long hair, ask if I was from America, and the usual questions. A bunch of people wanted to be friends with me on facebook.
I decided that the first day of school had been good, besides a bunch of butterflies in my first class.
I am making new friends and slowly get used to everyone and everything in my new school. I am actually enjoying it. WHAT?! Did Enjoli just say she’s enjoying school?! Yes I did. Surprising, huh? I’ve never hated it, but I’ve never necessarily liked it either. The Taiwanese are all very friendly and I’m liking it here so far. :) 
 

6 comments:

  1. Sorry I'm late in posting this... been very busy as you can imagine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still praying for you,
    I'm glad your first day worked out well!
    I love your blog!
    Kiel Ross

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such adventures! You are certainly in my prayers!
    Love you! <3
    ~Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that sounds like lots of fun! Wow 7 floors!!! Miss you!

    Love you bunches!!

    ~Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew everyone would love you! What's not to love? I'm praying for you and your adventures. May you draw ever closer to Jesus and continue sharing him with all those around you. Stay as sweet as you are, (my little "Sugar Bear"). Love, Hugs, Kisses, and "a kick in the pants", Nana. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Update!I'd love to hear more about your life!
    Kiel Ross

    ReplyDelete