Saturday, August 22, 2015

Typhoon!!!

"Ah, no big deal." That's how most Taiwanese respond to the news of a coming Typhoon. If fact, that's what my thoughts were when I heard of it. The reasoning being that most typhoons are just a bit of wind and lots of rain. We had experienced two typhoons already and that's exactly how it was. In fact, there had been one a couple weeks previously that wasn't scary at all and I loved it because it meant no school! What my point is, I wasn't expecting to go through the biggest typhoon I had ever been in (including the ones when I lived in the Philippines).
"Have you heard of the coming typhoon this weekend?" Jeff asked me as I was helping one of the other teachers, Melissa, set up and clean her classroom.
I paused my sweeping, "Oh really?"
"Yep, it's supposed to be pretty big, but my guess is that it won't be much bigger than the one we had just a couple weeks ago.
"Yeah, probably."
When I got home, I went looking for my dad, "Daddy! Did you know a typhoon is coming this Friday?"
"Yeah, I heard about it. Let's look online for the typhoon news."
We found out that Typhoon Souledor was coming straight towards us in Taipei. The news also confirmed that it was going to be a very strong one and that all business were to be closed Friday afternoon and all day Sabbath (Saturday).
That night, we went out to eat at a fancy restaurant with the TAAS staff (and families).  I was even able to get a plateful of food!
I turned to my friend sitting beside me and asked, "Did you hear about the typhoon? It's supposed to be pretty big!"
"No, not really."
I told her some statistics that we found online.
"Really? Huh. I wonder it will actually be as bad as they say." she commented.
I wondered too.
Friday, my dad sent out an emailing saying that church would be canceled because of the typhoon. Many thought that canceling church was a good idea, while others thought it was kind of silly.
"Well, I guess we'll find out this evening" my dad told us.
My dad, Carolyn, and I went to pick my mom up from the school around noon. It was pretty cloudy and quite windy.
When we got home we made sure to charge all the laptops and freeze some water bottles.
Sure enough, that evening it started to pour and the wind picked up speed. It wasn't too bad though. The eye of the storm was supposed to hit us about midnight. After watching it for a little, we turned off the lights and went to bed.
The view out our living room window, Sabbath Morning

After we went to bed, the typhoon continued to increase at alarming speed and intensity. Most of the night I was only half asleep, half listening to the howling craziness outside.
At about 2-3 in the morning, a giant crash woke Carolyn and I up.
"Wow! What was that!" I exclaimed and rushed to the window. I stared awestruck at the sight before me. "Wow" was all I could say. Carolyn soon joined me at my side.
We were in the eye of the storm and the I had never seen such strong wind in my life! It was absolutely crazy!
Outside my bedroom window
"It sounds like a roaring ocean out there!" I whispered as I watched the trees swaying dangerously from side to side, rain pelting the earth, a waterfall cascading down the steps out my window, and debris flying all around. We found out that the crashing sound came from a a huge tree that had fallen right next to my window and room. There was banging metallic noises coming from a septic tank outside too.
The septic tank and tree that fell right outside my window

My parents came out of their room and we shone the flashlight outside the windows and looked around. It was just crazy.
"Well, this is definitely the biggest typhoon we have ever been in" we all agreed. Soon, we went back to our bedrooms, hoping to get some sleep before sunrise.
In the morning it was still storming out pretty bad. Not quite as bad, but bad enough! There was so much rain in the swirling wind that the whole sky would white out.
We just sat on the couches, eating our breakfast as we watched the craziness outside. Soon we decided to have 'church.' We watched a sermon by David Asscheric and sang some songs.
"The Lord's our Rock, in Him we hide, a shelter in the time of storm; We find in God a safe retreat, a shelter in the time of storm. Might Rock in a weary land, Cooling shade on the burning sand Faithful guide for the pilgrim band - a shelter in the time of storm" we sang. (I thought it was an appropriate song to sing during that time. ;) )



The typhoon gradually calmed in the afternoon and finally it was safe to go outside. It was incredible how much damage it had done! The pool was really scary looking. It was a creepy green color and had a chair, a piece of roofing, and lots of tree branches and leaves in it. Fallen trees were everywhere. All the banana trees were broken, the basketball court fence was down, and worst of all, we had a shattered car window! Another car close by had completely lost two windows and all the glass went flying at high speed towards our car, breaking one of ours.
The fallen plants and basketball court

The shattered window
The glass inside our car
That night was a very hot and humid night. We still didn't have power.
The next day I walked over to the school to see how they fared. When I walked in the gate I was surprised! Almost all the teachers were outside working, moving piles upon piles of leaves that carpeted the roads. We all pitched in the worked and cleared the roads by evening leaving us with half of the ball field covered in a ginormous pile of leaves, branches, and debris. In fact, we went three full days before the power came back on!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/11822750_10204461573287864_9179174391948276825_n.jpg?oh=e9a04853bd16a57ccf8a684b9cc82da4&oe=56721363&__gda__=1446565518_001da25051a1dda3cbd2ebbab9e8ed36
 https://scontent-nrt1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/11233996_10204461572887854_8268878197906606151_n.jpg?oh=39cc3f83ee047b0210dc469a0509e995&oe=567442C0
The school's power turned on that night, but ours was still off. It wasn't until the next night that we got power back. (Making it a total of 3 full days without power!)
It turned on at about 3:30 am.
"Enjoli!" Carolyn called my name.
"Hmm?" I mumbled as I woke up and turned to her.
"The fan's on! That means we have power again!"
"Awesome!" "Thank-you God." I whispered as I went back to sleep.
I'm so glad God kept us safe during the typhoon and pray for those who were less fortunate than ourselves.

3 comments:

  1. Enjoli, I enjoyed reading your blog! I love you and miss you so much! I'm so glad I was able to come spend time with you there in Taiwan for 6 weeks. I will never forget the great memories we made together. Call me sometime soon! Wo eye ni! Te amo! Have a great day and don't forget how much I love you! You are sooooo special to me!

    ~Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, great comments Carolyn! I can't wait to come visit in December! Thanks for your post Enjoli. I liked the song you choose, "A shelter in a time of storm". Some day you will look back on your blogging and say........"Good Times".

    ReplyDelete