Monday, December 28, 2015

Miracle at a Talent Show

Miracles happen all the time and I would like to share one I experienced recently...

After finishing my personal devotion on Sabbath morning, I rolled out of my bed, blew my nose, and walked out of my room.
"Good morning" my dad greeted me.
"...ood...m...ing" I croaked. "Where is my voice?!" I thought. Clearing my throat a few more times, I tried again, but it still sounded pretty awful. "Oh no. Not today!" I inwardly moaned.
You see, that night was the church's Christmas Talent Show. I was planning on singing "O Holy Night" (by Point of Grace) with my mom. This was really important to me for a couple of reasons. First, my mom hates singing up front. I've been trying to convince her to sing it with me for four years! I love singing with my mom; I think she sings well and that our voices really blend, regardless of the excuses she gives. Also, I just love that song and how well it's done and really wanted to sing it. Finally, my mom agreed to sing it with me this year. I was so happy! Finally, haha! We practiced many times and figured it all out. And then... I had no voice. Great. Just great.
Running to the kitchen, I started cookin' up all sort of concoctions. I drank some nasty tea, took cold medicine, tons of cough and throat drops, used throat spray, gargled salt water (Ugh! That was nasty), and anything else I could think. (Did I forget to mention I was supposed to sing a special music for church too?)
Soon, I had most of my voice back, but I still sounded congested and I knew it would be next to impossible to sing the really high notes that I was planning to sing that night. The song is a little difficult to sing because it starts low and then I have to go ultra high at the end. It's a lot harder to sing when you have a cold too!  (I had caught the cold the last day we were in Japan and had it for a little over three weeks!)
"Ok, God. I guess it's up to You if you want me to sing. You know I really want to sing this song but I want to sing for Your glory, so, Your will be done."

As we were getting ready to head over to set up for the talent show that evening, I asked my mom if we could practice.
"Sure." she said.
She pushed play and we went through the song once.
"That was horrible!" I exclaimed. "My voice basically left me at that highest note and my voice kept cracking. Are you sure we should do this?"
"I think you can do it. It' already in the program. Just don't practice anymore or you'll strain you voice. Suck on your couph/throat drops until we sing, that might help."
"okay..." I said, not completely convinced.

The talent show was really going great. There were beautiful songs sang, funny skits done, cute stories told, and a lot of laughing and clapping. But I was coming up on the program quick. Problem was, I was feeling even worse! I kept coughing, my nose was plugged, and I just did not feel good. (In fact, I actually ran up a few of the stairs in the building to clear my nose, but it only lasted a minute.) Soon, I was the next one up.
I turned to my friend, "I'm so nervous! I don't know if I can do it!'
"Let's pray then."
"Thanks, Gracie." I said.
 She finished at the same time the group ahead of me did and it was time for me to go up.
My mom called me up and it was time. "Please, God? Send me a miracle so I can just sing this song." I prayed silently and started the song.
After I hesitantly sang the first line I realized something. "My nose is clear! I can breath! And my voice isn't strained or cracking at all. I'm not even scared in front of everybody!" 
Coming to the end of the song, I took a deep breath right before I sang the highest notes. Then, the song was over. Just like that!
After the song, I distinctly remember just keep saying in my head, "I did it! I did it! Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you, God!"
I then made my way to my seat. As soon as I sat down, I nose became really congested and I started coughing again. That's when I realized that God had indeed answered my prayer and had given me a miracle! I was just ecstatic with joy that He would do that for me. He cared about me wanting to sing a song. It wasn't important, but it was to me. That's why it was important to Him. This incident reminded me of how God gave me my voice in Tanzania when I needed as well. (Look at my blog entitled, "Miracle in the Classrom."
Wow. God is so good; isn't He?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Enjoli! God has done it again! May He continue to work through human weakness to reveal His perfect strength in your life... Blessings! Love and miss you, Ashley

    ReplyDelete