Sunday, February 16, 2014

Squeezed, Squished, and Sat On


 
“I’m going to suffocate!” I exclaimed. “We can NOT fit any more people in this Dala Dala! “
We were on our last leg of our journey back home from Iringa. All six of us SM girls; Alission, Brit, Selena, Brianna, Ashley, and I had gone shopping.
The Ross’s had given us a ride as far as Mafinga but then we took the bus to Iringa. It was a big, nice bus. I tried to get some sleep because we had just gotten back from our camping trip that morning. (You can read about that in my other blog) It was a nice trip, except for the weird movie playing on the TV at the front of the bus. We were so excited for our long awaited “Shopping spree.” We were also celebrating Ashley’s 21st birthday.
 
 
 
We got some material for congas and went to the Masi Market. We walked into this little alley-like road that was lined with little shacks. The shacks were little shops with all sorts of little handmade trinkets and souvenirs.  We spent at least an hour there buying gifts for friends and family back home.  
 
 
 
Next we went to eat at “Four Seasons,” a funny name for an African restaurant, a country that doesn’t really have four seasons. We ate the traditional rice, beans, and chapattis.  
 
 
 
Soon we had to go to the bus station so we could buy some tickets to get back hoe. There was a lot of confusion. We bought one for three o’clock but when we came at 2:55 they had already y left! So we got on a different bus that was supposed to leave really soon. After sitting by ourselves for 15 minutes we realized that the bus we were on wasn’t going to leave for another half hour probably.  Finally, we managed to get on a packed bus that was leaving to Mafinga.
 
 
 
 All us girls sat in the back and filled all the seats in the back row.  Soon another man came into the bus just as the bus was leaving. He insisted on sitting in the back row where we were although there was no more seats. I went to scoot over so he could sit by the window when he almost sat on top of me! So I quickly slid over so he was between Ashely and me. I shouldn’t say he was between us though. He was practically sitting on me! Here I was, squished as far as possible against the window, trying to hold onto my purse as well as my big bag of fragile souvenirs, his face is like right in my face yet I can’t move away because of the window, and with him basically sitting on my right leg. He was drunk to; you could smell it. He was very confusing because of it too. He kept telling us to talk in Swahili and then he would tell us to speak in English! He kept asking me why I wasn’t talking. 
I was thinking, “Well, I am VERY uncomfortable, you are sitting on me, and my head is banging on the window so it doesn’t bang on yours!” of course I didn’t say that.  
At one time he even told me he loved me!
He got right in my face and said, “I love you.” I was like uhhhh, and didn’t say anything.
“Why you hesitate?” he asked.
Of course I wasn’t going to say ‘I love you too’ so I just said, “I don’t know.”
Soon, more people started loading off the bus so there were some more seats available but the guy still insisted on sitting on top of me! Then Brianna took charge and saved me. 
“Here,” she told the man. “There’s a seat right here that is open.” She motioned to the chair in front of me.  Shockingly, he stood up and, very gentlemen like, made way for me to sit in the chair!
“Uh uh. YOU sit over there,” said Brianna. Finally he moved and I sighed in relief. 
 
 
 
Amazingly, the second bus or Dala Dala was even more “fun.” We were packed in like sardines! We could hardly breathe let alone move! There was no space for both of my feet so I had one foot on top of another. I was against the emergency door with people crowded around me. Finally we were off, but they kept stopping for more people! “Hapana! (No!) There is no more room!”  Yet, they managed to squeeze in more people. It was a very uncomfortable ride. The widows were actually all steamed up because of the sweat and body heat. They wouldn’t open widows either.
Finally, we arrived safe and sound at our house. 
What a fun trip. Yes, very uncomfortable but fun. Now I have really experienced African transportation and God protected me through it all.

7 comments:

  1. Enjoli, it was actually good that Brianna spoke up, rather than you! Drunken men are very unpredictable. If you had spoken, he could have become even more unreasonable. I think that God's angels held your tongue and gave Brianna the words to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE reading your blog, Enjoli! It's so much fun to hear about all your adventures. Those foreign country experiences are SO awesome--but I can definitely agree to the strangeness... lol :) I pray for you a whole lot! I miss you and can hardly wait to see you, but treasure every moment! :D ~ Ellie ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like my blogs! Sorry I wasn't able to reply to your messages in Tanzania but rest assured that I read and treasured all of you sweet messages! :) Thanks for the prayers and see you soon!!!

      Delete
    2. Oh, no worries. I totally understand! :)
      I can'ttttttttttttt wait to see you!!!! :D

      Delete
  3. I think everyone that comes really should experience the buses and daladalas at least once. There is no such thing as a full daladala - hard to believe, but I know EXACTLY what you went through (more times than I can count!) I am glad you survived to tell about it. And people do that everyday! Can you imagine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm glad I don't have to do it every day Lol! I do think everyone should expererice though. ;)

      Delete
  4. I know how you felt on the dala-dala,
    Random drunk guys in the market have told me that they loved me multiple times, but I was never stuck with one on a bus!
    Kiel Ross

    ReplyDelete